News and Announcements are listed with the most recent at the top
* In the fall semester of 2018, Wesley is teaching three courses at Charlotte Christian College and Theological Seminary: Preaching through Romans, Old Testament Introduction, and Contemporary Issues in Theology. He will also lecture on expository preaching one day during a Doctor of Ministry seminar.
* On May 3, 2018, Wesley helped lead the National Day of Prayer Services at the Fulton Family YMCA and also the Rural Hall Community Service at the Moravian Church.
* In the spring of 2018, Wesley coached a youth soccer team at the Fulton Family YMCA.
* On April 5, 2018, Wesley served as a community judge for the National Christian Forensics and Communications Association. This annual tournament provides competition for over 150 students from across the region in both Lincoln Douglas Value and Team Policy debate, as well as in Interpretive, Platform, and Limited Preparation speech events. Wesley worked in the apologetics category.
* In the spring semester of 2018, Wesley taught an online course of theology for Charlotte Christian College and Theological Seminary titled, "Sin and Salvation."
* On February 3-4, 2018, the Rural Hall Christian Church hosted "FILLED: Finding Fullness in the Christian Life" with special guests William Jacobs and David Woolard. There were several sermons, special music, and Q&A sessions about the Christian life.
* On November 30, 2017, Wesley shared the closing prayer at the Town of Rural Hall Christmas Tree Lighting. The service will begin at 6:00 PM at Town Hall.
* On November 7, 2017, Wesley received his Blue Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at the American Martial Arts Academy in Winston-Salem.
* On October 28, 2017, a group from the Rural Hall Christian Church volunteered at the "Rural Hall Flat and Fast" to help raise funds for the Rural Hall Elementary School. The Church also helped sponsor the event.
* In the fall semester of 2017, Wesley taught online courses for Charlotte Christian College and Theological Seminary entitled, "Issues in Contemporary Theology" as well as "Introduction to the New Testament."
* In June of 2017 Wesley taught a one day seminar at Charlotte Theological Seminary on writing the Doctor of Ministry applied research project. He will oversee the process for doctoral students in the coming academic year.
* On May 4, 2017, Wesley participated in the National Day of Prayer community events at the Fulton YMCA in Winston-Salem at 7:00 AM and at the Rural Hall Moravian Church at 12:00 PM. The pastors, churches, and residents of the area were all invited to attend these gatherings.
* On April 20, 2017, Wesley served as a community judge for the National Christian Forensics and Communications Association Region IX Championship. This tournament provides competition for over 150 students from across the region in both Lincoln Douglas Value and Team Policy debate, as well as in Interpretive, Platform, and Limited Preparation speech events.
* As a faculty member of John Wesley University, Wesley is teaching The General Epistles in the spring semester of 2017.
* On January 29, 2017 the Rural Hall Christian Church hosted a 5th Sunday Rally with six congregations represented. Wesley delivered the sermon on the Great Commandment found in Matthew 22.
* During September of 2016, Wesley taught Bible Study at The Living Well in Rural Hall. These studies were expositions of John 16. Wesley also taught from John 17 on the High Priestly Prayer in December of 2016.
* Wesley was invited to preach at the Main Street Christian Church in Saltville, VA the evenings of August 4-6, 2016. The Minister at Main Street is a friend of Wesley's and former Associate Minister, Jim Kiser. The subject of these sermons was our identity in Christ, expositions of Ephesians 1.
* During July 2016, Wesley taught Bible Study at The Living Well in Rural Hall. These studies were expositions of John 15.
* In May 2016, Wesley joined the Adjunct Faculty at John Wesley University in High Point, NC for the 16-17 academic year. He taught Interpretation of the Old Testament during the fall semester and The General Epistles during the spring semester.
* Wesley has independently published his book, "The Paraclete of the Upper Room: An Examination of John 14-16." It is available for purchase at CreateSpace Publishing. The Kindle Edition is also available at Amazon.
* In April of 2016, Wesley taught the Bible Studies at the Living Well. The three studies were from John 14.
* On March 1-2, 2016 Wesley traveled to Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA for the Eastern Region Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society. The theme of the conference was, "Life, Liberty, and Loving Your Neighbor" and featured Dr. Darrell Bock as the key speaker at the plenary sessions.
* On Sunday, August 23, 2015 the Rural Hall Church hosted an area churches rally. There was a worship service with congregational singing of contemporary songs and favorite hymns led by the RHCC praise team, a Bible message from David Woolard, nursery available for ages 0-2, kids activities for 2-12, and finger-foods followed. There was at least six churches represented at this rally.
* On Sunday, August 16, 2015 the Rural Hall Church of Christ voted to officially changed their name to the "Rural Hall Christian Church."
* In August of 2015, Wesley taught the Bible studies at the Living Well. The three studies were from John 13.
* In June of 2015, Wesley was named an Assistant Professor of Ministry at Carolina Graduate School of Divinity in Greensboro, NC for the upcoming academic year.
* On May 16, 2015 the degree of "Doctor of Ministry" was conferred on Wesley at the commencement exercises of the Carolina Graduate School of Divinity in Greensboro, NC. The weekend was full of celebrations with family, friends, and the church.
* On April 27, 2015 Wesley presented his doctoral dissertation before the faculty and fellow D.Min. candidates at Carolina Graduate School of Divinity. His project was approved and commended. This marks the completion of his doctoral studies.
* In April 2015, Wesley taught the Bible studies at the Living Well. The three studies were from the resurrection narratives in John's Gospel.
* On February 17-18, Wesley had the opportunity to attend a 9Marks conference in Charlotte, NC. 9Marks is an organization that seeks to help promote healthy churches. Their website is found at www.9marks.org.
* Progressandjoy.org is pleased to announce that there is a new "Sermon Audio" page on the website. Links can be found there to the website archive.org where Wesley's sermon audio is stored. You can listen to it there or download it to your own device.
* As of February 1, 2015, Wesley is glad to be joined on staff at the Rural Hall Church by Jim Kiser who has taken the position of Associate Minister. Jim is a graduate of Johnson University, a former missionary to China, and now is primarily responsible for the Kids Ministry at Rural Hall.
* On Sunday, January 18, 2015, some of the area churches got together for supper and worship at the First Christian Church of Clemmons. Those churches represented were Clemmons, Ardmore, Shattalon, Rowan, Oak Summit, and Rural Hall. Wesley was privileged to preach the sermon that evening from Acts 4:23-31 about the believers' response to pressure and persecution. The message was well-received.
* On November 13, 2014, Wesley became the Chairman of the Board of Directors for The Living Well--Rural Hall Center for Lifelong Learning.
* During the first week of November, Wesley had the opportunity once again to take a class with Dr. Douglas Moo on the Epistle to the Galatians at Carolina Graduate School of Divinity in Greensboro. This is the third class that Wesley has had under him in the Doctor of Ministry program at CGSD. Dr. Moo is a world-renown New Testament scholar who has written numerous top-rated commentaries, and he is also Chairman of the Committee on Bible Translation for the NIV Bible.
* Beginning October 5, Wesley is preaching a sermon series titled, "Visions of God's Greatness." This sermon series will take a look at six different chapters in the Book of Isaiah which contain visions of God.
* During the first week of August, 2014, Wesley had the opportunity to take a class at Carolina Graduate School of Divinity with noted evangelical scholar Dr. Walter Kaiser Jr. The subject was "Preaching Christ from the Old Testament."
* On Sunday, July 27 Wesley delivered a sermon at the SonRise Christian Church in Summerville, SC (just north of Charleston). SonRise is pastored by William Jacobs, a former college classmate and close friend of Wesley's.
* As of June 2014, Wesley has joined the Board of Directors of The Living Well. The Living Well is a faith-based senior center in Rural Hall which has the goal of encouraging and offering opportunities for lifelong learning.
* On Sunday, April 20 Wesley delivered a sermon at the Rural Hall Church's Easter Sunrise Service. There was breakfast following. Wesley then taught the adult Sunday school class at 10am, and Easter worship with special music and readings followed at 11am.
* In April 2014, Wesley taught the Bible studies and discussions at The Living Well. The Living Well is a faith-based senior center in Rural Hall which has the goal of encouraging and offering opportunities for lifelong learning.
* Progressandjoy.org is pleased to announce that there are new contributors writing articles which are published on Fridays under the tag, "Guest Article." These contributors are writing for us on a regular basis on a wide range of topics relating to the Christian life. Take a look at the new page titled, "Contributors" which lists the names of the new contributors and their backgrounds.
* On Sunday, March 30, 2014 the Rural Hall Church hosted a 5th Sunday Rally with some of the other congregations in the area. If your church is interested in participating in the future, contact Wesley for more information.
* On Thursday, March 20, 2014 Wesley shared a Bible devotional and prayer at the Rural Hill Apartments at their monthly birthday luncheon. This is an apartment community for senior citizens located in Rural Hall, NC. Wesley has been invited to do this on a monthly basis and is looking forward to it.
* On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 Wesley delivered a sermon at the Shattalon Church of Christ in Winston-Salem on the subject of "A Prayer for Today" as a part of Shattalon's month-long revival held each Wednesday. Other guest speakers included Lamar Tillman, Ralph Sproles, and Jerry Simpkins on other nights during that month.
* On the Tuesdays of January 14, 21, and 28 Wesley taught the Bible studies and discussions at The Living Well. The Living Well is a faith-based seniors center in Rural Hall which has the goal of encouraging and offering opportunities for lifelong learning.
* On Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 6pm the RHCC kicked-off its Sunday Evening Worship and Youth Ministry. To do so, the church met upstairs all together to sing hymns, hear Wesley share about the intentions and goals of the new service, and then went down stairs where pizza was provided for everyone.
* On Thursday, December 5, 2013 the RH Town Hall hosted its annual Christmas Tree Lighting service where many town organizations and citizens were involved such as the elementary school and fire department. Wesley was glad to say the opening prayer for the service and community during the Christmas season and into the New Year.
* On Sunday, November 24, 2013 the RH Moravian Church hosted the annual Community Thanksgiving worship service. Wesley was glad to preach a sermon at that service and to have so many from RHCC in attendance.
* On Sunday, October 27, 2013 RHCC hosted a Fall Family Fun! There were hay rides, a Bible skit, trunk-and-treat, and food. There was a huge turn-out from the church and the community.
* Wesley had articles published in the Rural Hall Messenger and the Weekly Independent during the month of October of 2013 introducing himself to the northern Forsyth community.
* Wesley jumped head first into the ministries of the Rural Hall church. He joined the area ministerial association, volunteered to host the next meeting, and will preach at the community Thanksgiving service which will be hosted by the Moravian church. Wesley and Bridget also intend to organize a youth ministry that will kick off at the first of the 2014 year. Be sure to attend those planning sessions!
* On Sunday, September 1st, 2013 Wesley moved to Rural Hall, NC, just north of Winston-Salem, to pastor the Rural Hall Church of Christ. The McCarters are glad to be back in North Carolina and to be closer to their family. The Rural Hall church welcomed the McCarter family with a great spread of food and desserts after worship on September 8th. The hope and prayer is that great enthusiasm and unity will thrive in Rural Hall as it has in these first few weeks.
* On Friday, August 16th, 2013 Wesley met with the elders of the Fort Trial Christian Church to announce his resignation effective two weeks from that day (August 30, 2013). On Sunday, August 18, 2013, the board chairman informed the congregation that Wesley had accepted another ministry position at a location closer to his hometown and family. The congregation was very gracious and loving. It was an emotional and heartfelt day. Wesley's last sermon at Fort Trial was on August 25, 2013. His resignation letter to the elders and church can be read on the "Documents" page of this website. Wesley will be ministering in Rural Hall, NC.
For Progress and Joy in Christ